This recipe comes from local chef and SFDC board member, Mark Haskell, who whipped these up at the Burgers and Brews for the Bay event in October 2015! It originally appeared in the September 2015 SFDC newsletter.
- mini buns
- pickled chilies
- pickled okra
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast or similar (10-15% fat), cut into cubes
- 1/2 pound smoked bacon
- 1 pound fresh picnic or boston butt roast, skinned (10-15% fat), cut into cubes
- 1 cup, onion & garlic, sliced, sauteed in oil/lard/butter until soft
- 3 TBSP dried red pepper pimenton/paprika
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs: oregano, thyme, marjoram
- 2 TBSP Salt
- 2 TBSP black Pepper
- 1 TBSP cumin, toasted & ground
- onion, diced
- fresh chiles, diced
- pickled Chesapeake Fish Chiles & liquid, diced
- fresh tomato, diced
- fresh mint & cilantro leaves, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- a little sugar or honey, to taste
Put the meats & sauteed onion/garlic through a meat grinder, first through the large grinder, then a second time through the small grinder.
Mix in the other ingredients, mixing well so all the seasonings are evenly distributed.
Cook a small piece to test the seasoning, add whatever you want, to taste.
Refrigerate the seasoned mixture for 6 hours or overnight so flavors can come together.
Mix together and season to taste use pickling liquid and water (or tomato water if you’ve got it) to hydrate. (Proportions are your choice for the spice level.)
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER AND DEVOUR
Assemble buns with meat, salsa, and pickled chilis and/or pickled okra.
We try to feature a delicious new recipe in each newsletter. If you would like to have one shared with the SFDC community, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll see what we can do.