There are several ways you can become more active within the Slow Food DC chapter.
Host an Event
- Share a favorite family recipe or experiment with seasonal dishes by hosting a Slow Food DC supper or potluck at your home;
- Host a home workshop teaching a kitchen skill or technique such as canning, oyster shucking, bread-making, or Ethiopian cooking;
Send a description at of the event, the date and time, your capacity, and an e-mail address to receive responses to comm_at_slowfooddc.org, replace “_at_” with @ . We will include it in our next e-newsletter (on the first Tuesday of every month) and on the Slow Food Facebook page. As interested attendees respond to you, you can send them more detailed information (address, directions, what to bring, etc.). When hosting events in your home, be sure to have guests sign the Slow Food DC waiver.
Become a Slow Food DC Ambassador
- Attend an event relevant to Slow Food’s mission, talk to other attendees about Slow Food and what we do (Slow Food talking points), and then share your takeaways from the event with the DC community by contributing a post to our blog or our Facebook page. Contact info_at_slowfooddc.org (replace “_at_” with “@”) with a draft of your post.
- Become a blog contributor for Slow Food DC. E-mail info_at_slowfooddc.org (replace “_at_” with “@”) to tell us about your interests and we’ll sign you up.
- Share a yard for urban gardening. Visit http://dc.sharingbackyards.com to find a space or offer yours.
- Let us know if you have other ideas for activities.
Slow Food DC operates solely through the efforts of volunteers. If you would like to become more involved with either the Board or a committee, please let us know via e-mail at info_at_slowfooddc.org (replace “_at_” with “@”). The following committees are always looking for additional assistance: events; fundraising; communications; Snail of Approval; policy, advocacy, and outreach; and memberships and partnerships.
Throughout the year we organize volunteer activities so that our members can give back to the community and have fun getting to know each other better. Please check our events calendar for upcoming opportunities.
Slow Food DC supports other organizations which aim to promote good, clean, fair food for all. DC’s Field to Fork Network provides an excellent list of additional volunteer opportunities. Please let us know if you would like to organize a group effort by contacting info_at_slowfooddc.org (replace “_at_” with “@”).