From our SFDC Jan 2018 newsletter… Also published in Samin Nosrat’s Salt Fat Acid Heat. Serves 8-10 as a side.
1 pound brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded and cut into 1-inch slices
- ½ medium red onion, sliced thinly
- olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 clove garlic, pounded
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Season the squash lightly with salt, drizzle with olive oil and place in a single layer on 1 or 2 cookie sheets.
- Halve the Brussels sprouts and season lightly with salt. Drizzle with olive oil and place in a single layer on 1 or 2 cookie sheets, cut side down.
- Place vegetables into the preheated oven and cook 20-24 minutes, until tender and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, stir together another ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, sugar, onion, chili flakes, and garlic and season with salt.
- Check on the vegetables to make sure that they are browning evenly, rotating pans to control the heat. When you are satisfied that they are cooked, remove from the oven and mix in a big bowl. Pour marinade over and allow to sit for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Garnish with torn mint leaves before serving.