This recipe comes from SFDC board member, Mark Haskell, and is featured in our January 2017 SFDC newsletter.
- 2 cups of skinned, chopped pumpkin – a cheese or long island type pumpkin is best, but any pumpkin or butternut squash will work
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled
- Olive oil to sauté
- 3-4 crushed cardamon pods
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Ginger, finely chopped or ground (similar amount as garlic), to taste
- Red chile powder, to taste
- 1/2 cup white or cider vinegar, reduced and then 1/4 cupwater added
- 3-4 Tablespoons honey or raw sugar
- Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- Options: capers, lemon zest, lime pickle, chopped walnuts
Saute pumpkin, onion, carrot in olive oil over medium heat until soft, 5-7 minutes approx.
Add cardamon, garlic, ginger, red chile, saute and stir until warmed and incorporated (another 5 minutes, don’t scorch)
Raise heat and add vinegar and reduce liquid by a 1/3 then add water.
Add honey/sugar to balance the vinegar, and salt/pepper to balance the sweet & sour taste
Take out cardamon pods, and puree until smooth. If too thick add either water/tomato juice/apple-orange juice to smooth. Also recheck salt & pepper and sweetness.
Have a good seasonal recipe you’d like to share? Send it along to email@example.com!