Adapted from the New York Times and featured in our April 2017 newsletter.
for the salad:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 6 radishes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or scallions
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
for the dressing:
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoons buttermilk
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce (about ¼ cup) feta cheese, crumbled
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes, until the grains display a threadlike spiral and the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat, let sit for at least 10 minutes undisturbed. Transfer quinoa to a bowl and fluff with a fork.
Steam the asparagus until tender (3-4 mins).
Drain, cool, then cut into 1-inch pieces. Add to the quinoa, along with the radishes, pumpkin seeds, chives and tarragon.
Whisk together the lemon zest and juice, garlic, salt, olive oil, buttermilk and pepper.
Shortly before serving, toss with the quinoa and asparagus mixture.
Sprinkle the feta over the top and serve.